[RFI] RFI to GFCI Outlet

Eric Rosenberg ericrosenberg.dc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:35:15 EST 2017

During the DX contest this weekend,. One of the GFCI outlets in my house (2
floors up and on the opposite side of the house), was friend by RF.

While transmitting (800-1000w with an ACOM 1000), it tripped and made
crackling sounds. I can't reset it, and assume I need to replace it.

My station is rather modest. a roof mounted yagi (above the fully-size
attic) and a single wire (160/80/50 inv-L) above it.  The house is 80 years
old and a patchwork of electrical wiring. Interestingly, the RFI situation
with this amp (as opposed to a TT Hercules running 500w) was much better. No
lights or TV flickering. My only other issue was mild RFI to computer and
stereo speakers.

Questions:

*	no other GFCI outlets tripped, including the one on the opposite
wall of this one. Why would that be?
*	What brands is the most RFI tolerant/resistant?
*	Could this be related to this particular circuit?

73,

Eric W3DQ

Washington, DC