[RFI] RFI to GFCI Outlet

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Feb 20 13:56:04 EST 2017

On 20 Feb 2017 at 13:35, Eric Rosenberg wrote:

> During the DX contest this weekend,. One of the GFCI outlets in my house (2
> floors up and on the opposite side of the house), was friend by RF.

I have similar, but not quite so severe, issues here.

> Questions:
>
> *	no other GFCI outlets tripped, including the one on the opposite
> wall of this one. Why would that be?

Length of wire connected to the fried GFCI is resonant at or near your operating frequency.
Others aren't so "lucky".

> *	What brands is the most RFI tolerant/resistant?

Dunno. Others here?

> *	Could this be related to this particular circuit?

Yes.

I had an issue here on 40 meters with GFCI and AFCIs in our home.

The GFCI issue was solved when a 33' length (1/4 wave-length at 40 meters) of electrical
panel "ground" wire (which was "grounded" to a city PLASTIC water supply pipe (!!!) ), was
removed, shortened, then rerouted to a set of 3 ea 8' interconnected ground rods driven into
the earth within 10 feet of our electrical panel.

YMMV.

Ken W7EKB

---