[RFI] Leased Solar Panels: Operator Responsibility?

Randy Standke r55stan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 11:41:41 EST 2017

I would suggest that every amateur radio operator experiencing interference from SolarEdge complain to the ARRL and the FCC.  If we do nothing, current and future radio amateurs will lose the HF bands to irresponsible equipment manufacturers.  Email Mike Gruber at the ARRL mgruber at arrl.org, email Laura Smith at the FCC Laura.Smith at fcc.gov and use the FCC on line complaint form https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The fact that the optimizers generate RFI from solar panel power, and therefore would be inconvenient to the operator to turn off, does not justify ignoring the problem.  From Part 15 “The operator of a system that causes harmful interference to licensed radio service (i.e. Amateur Radio) must cease operation until the problem is corrected at the operator’s expense.”  In this case the solar panels could be covered with dark tarps to stop their interference.  They can stay covered until SolarEdge comes out and fixes that system.

Randy KQ6RS