[RFI] RFI every 15 KHz on 160 meters, suspect source is a manufacturing facility.

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 19:04:03 EST 2018

Having traveled similar tracks as Cortland (EMC/RFI Engineer), I can not
stress the usefulness of the 3" loop.  Just make one and use it.  Take our
word (writing) for its utility!

Dave - WØLEV
EMC Design & Test, LLC

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Cortland Richmond <ka5s at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Hi, gents.  Cortland here, KA5S.
>
>  I had about a 30 year career in EMC engineering, and often had to locate
> specific sources of EMI.
>
> A quite small loop will do very well if one is in close proximity to the
> magnetic field of an emitter.  That is, there is a good deal of utility in
> entering the near field very closely.
>
> You may remember the famous 3520 kHz television modems of some years ago.
> For those I tried using three antennas; a surplus EMC loop antenna about 1
> m in diameter, ad un-tuned whip antenna, and about a 3 inch loop antenna
> made by bending a piece of semi-rigid cable back on itself and soldering
> the exposed center conductor at  the non-connectorized end to the outside
> of the shield near the connector.
>
> This last was unbalanced, but its small wavelength aperture made it good
> almost through VHF.
>
> At 80M,  on a handheld receiver, it could accurately lead me to the exact
> room one of those modems was radiating from.
>
> Much smaller loops can be constructed on the open end of a single piece of
> coax, and can follow individual traces on a PWB – but that is beyond the
> scope of this discussion.
>
> Good luck!
> Cortland
> ka5s
>

> On 2/2/18 2:32 PM, Don Kirk wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave and gang,
>>
>> I totally agree on the smaller loop, but I believe what is also important
>> is to factor in the implications of being in the near field.  That's why I
>> think going to a much higher frequency would be very beneficial (get out
>> of
>> the near field as much as possible, but we will see).
>>
>> Stay tuned (no pun intended).
>>
>> Don (wd8dsb)
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) <dave at nk7z.net> wrote:
>>
>> I would try a a much smaller mag loop, like a foot in diameter.  I have
>>> used a 6 inch loop in some cases, they are still sort of directional.
>>> Add a
>>> ferrite on the coax at the feed point.  I have one loop that is about an
>>> inch in diameter, I use it seldom, but it is handy when needed.
>>>
>>> I also have a small probe I built out of a piece of coax, I just cut the
>>> shield back 3 inches, used dollop of liquid electrical tape on the end of
>>> the center conductor for insulation, and then I probe around...
>>>
>>> 73s and thanks,
>>> Dave
>>> NK7Z
>>> http://www.nk7z.net
>>>
>>> On 02/02/2018 10:20 AM, Don Kirk wrote:
>>>
>>>    Quick follow up on my locating the source of the repeating 15 KHz

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*