[RFI] Question about excess

Dave Cole (NK7Z) dave at nk7z.net
Wed Jan 10 08:59:49 EST 2018

Hi Wes,

Given your location in the desert-- the low number of homes close to
you, and your having your antenna 100 feet away from your shack, it is
no big surprise that you don't have a lot of local RFI.  Lucky man!

However therein lies the key...  Your antenna is 100 feet away from your
RFI generating home.  Not all of us have that luxury...

My vertical is about 50 feet from the house, (which makes me lucky),
while my dipole is about 15 feet from the house...

Coiling the excess cable from wallwarts within the house made a rather
significant difference, (as expected), in the number and strength of the
many SMPS birdies I had when on the dipole, and all but eliminated them
when on the vertical.

I use mix31 clamp on ferrite material, put about 8 turns on one ferrite,
clamp it shut, and if I have more slack, I use a second ferrite.  The
hand-wringing you see is because some of us have serious issues with
antenna systems close to our homes...

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z