[RFI] Politics and RFI

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:27:25 EDT 2018

Many, if not most, of the offending Chinese RFI generators come through
Customs as a 'component'.  As such, there is no RFI/EMC requirement for
compliance to FCC rules and regulations.  The burden of proof for a clean
product w.r.t. EMC/RFI is the system integrator - the entity that assembles
the components to make a product which you and I may buy.  Typically, the
system integrator does nothing unless he is caught.  The lighting industry
is a prime example.  Much of that industry is still unaware that FCC has
regulations regarding the industry.  Switching power supplies, electronic
ballasts, electronic transformers and the like all come through Customs as
components.  As such, FCC can't touch them.  However, once they are
assembled into a final product, FCC has every right to require a clean bill
of health wrt EMC/RFI.  Even many of the wall warts are designated as
components, so there is no EMC/RFI ever addressed with them.

HOWEVER, we can all attest to the FACT that the RF fog is getting worse and
worse due to Chinese imports.  You/we need to change the law on what
does/does not get through Customs scott free.  ALSO, light a fire under FCC
to enforce the rules, especially Part 15, Subpart B and C.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Jim Stahl via RFI <rfi at contesting.com>
wrote:

> With the recent attention to trade deficits, unfair Chinese trade
> practices, etc., might this be an opportunity to catch somebody’s attention
> to get tough on RFI certification and enforcement on all those cheap
> Chinese RFI generators being imported and sold in the USA?
>
> I assume it would take more than a few random letters to Congressmen, but
> if somebody with appropriate connections might be able to push this idea,
> it could be a situation of never letting a good crisis go to waste.
>

> 73  -  Jim   K8MR

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*