[RFI] Solar Panel Manufacture Schedules Fix For Solar Panel RFI

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 18:56:14 EDT 2018

"Correct me if I am misremembering, but isn't running Romex in conduit a
Code violation?"

NO!  Absolutely NOT!  In fact, in some instances, it's required. During
the transition from bare wires, to insulated wires, to wiring in
conduit, Romex was created as an inexpensive compromise that still met code.

Romex gives you the option to NOT use conduit, but, of course, you can
if you like, and in areas such as "scuttles" (access areas), certain
walls, outdoors, and the like, as well as any place of impact, or
abrasion, Romex is required to be in conduit.  It only offers the option
of not running EMT through your walls, if it will not be disturbed.

But, aside from that, seriously, if one were to think about it, why, and
how, could it possibly a code violation to run insulated wire in
conduit?  One clerk told me it was due to heat.  I asked, "Really? If
heat was an issue, would it make more sense to have the Romex in a
sealed fireproof steel pipe acting as a heat-sink, or in a hot, dry,
wooden wall with insulation, craft paper, and little airflow to keep it
cool?".  His response was a glazed over look, just short of drooling...

The advantage to Romex in conduit it ease of pull/installation, adding
only a few dollars to encase it, as aside from most other fittings, I'm
adding some cheap pipe to the expense, and, most importantly, quite
possibly prevent all the RFI I have on the exposed Romex now.  Seems
like a win-win-win, at only a few dollars more.

If you really want to cry...  My house is fed two 120 circuits from
underground, 100 Amps each, however, distribution is through the poorly
vented attic, in one giant bundled wiring harness.  De-rating is to bad,
I'm afraid to run more than a few amps in the Summer, and never two
large items at once.  The garage is fed with 12/3 Romex, a 125' run,
that also feeds three other rooms on the way, through the attic.  When I
fire up my air compressor, I turn off everything else in the house,
except enough LED lights to see where I'm going to get to the shop.
Insert continuous stream of bad words here...  I'm slowly upgrading.

Kurt