[RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 195, Issue 2

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 10 18:56:50 EDT 2019

On 4/10/2019 3:20 PM, Daniel Donnelly wrote:
> First, aside from China no company make a comparable HT
> What I am speaking about is that no American, Japanese or Western
> corporation manufactures a LEGAL HT that covers the same range of
> frequencies.
That's because it is ILLEGAL to sell such a radio in the US.
> This invites design compromises by Baofeng that the FCC
> considers illegal.
Uh, FCC Rules are the LAW of the land!
>   Baofeng like many Chinese companies wants to take a
> major market share of  western manufacturing. .
> Yes, I know that the official problem is Baofeng radios have a tendency to
> produce "spurs" or frequencies outside generally accepted limits,
Which makes them ILLEGAL to sell or use!   If you transmit a spur that
causes interference, you are committing a crime!
> I am not
> defending Baofeng I am pointing out market dynamics
> Many Baofeng radios are sold for the express purpose of being able operate
> in the 2 meter or 70 cm Amateur bands as well as GMRS and/or FRS  by those
> legally licensed to operate on those bands, as many involved in emergency
> services do.
> Until HT's are manufactured by western corporations legally covering those
> bands sales and market share loss will continue.
You are clearly ignorant of FCC Rules.
> People will always buy a usable radio at the lowest price.
Only people who don't understand low price often means low quality, and
these radios ARE low quality.
> America has long been known as the  mass producer of the world and America
> has some of the best engineers in the world. Can't we produce a better
> radio at a better price?

Some countries have the quaint idea that paying people a living wage is
a good thing. That includes most of Europe, Japan, S Korea, Australia,
New Zealand. THAT'S a BIG part of the cost difference. Would YOU like to
work 60 hours a week for $30?  And what religion teaches to support
businesses that treat their workers so badly? Certainly not mine!

Also, the radios made by the major JA companies are far superior to the
cheap junk you seem to be praising.

Oh, by the way -- that $24 dollar ad is a scam.

73, Jim K9YC