[RFI] Fwd: Re: Safety suggestion to consider when trying to locate new it is generated by parent company hardware

Charles Plunk af4o at twc.com
Wed Dec 4 20:58:17 EST 2019

Oh, a tip if you do use a portable AM broadcast radio. Wrap some
aluminum foil around the radio. Then you can slide that up or down the
radio to use as an attenuator to tell when you get close to the right
pole. But I have found that tricky at best when in a old neighborhood
like mine where maybe many poles are emitting some rfi at AM broadcast
but may not be bothering ham bands. A better solution is a portable
communications receiver with AM mode and some VHF yagis at various
frequencies. Power line rfi diminishes with increased frequency thus you
can use that to your advantage to narrow it down to the right pole. Keep
in mind also the blame arc can use the lines as an antenna to throw you
off further. Its an art to where I am still a novice. I pay attention to
every word Mike Martin says.