[RFI] Safety suggestion to consider when trying to locate new it is generated by parent company hardware

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 22:04:42 EST 2019

I use a multi-stage approach:
1. Peak the noise, if possible, with the VHF yagis at my station.
2. Hop on my bicycle with my HT in AM receive mode, switchable between 2 meters and 432. I find that most power line noise is audible within 4 or 5 poles on 2 meters, 1 or 2 poles on 432. Note that there is some noise from tire static, but the powerline noise has different characteristics. The bike both gets me some exercise, and is easy to stop along side the road for further checks.

3. Bring out the 432 yagi, a 5L WA5VJB cheap beam, to connect to the HT to sweep the suspected poles. (I can carry the yagi on the back of the bike, or across the handlebars.)
4. Hop in the car, with the W1TRC ultrasonic detector. I don't expect the utility to send out crews with orders based on my report, but the ultrasonic does provide a reality check independent of RF re-radiation, etc.
One of my best VHF DX QSOs resulted from this effort. During a lull in a VHF contest I took out the bike to look for some noise. While listening on 432.100 AM I heard a distorted SSB signal, but identifiable as a VE3 rover calling CQ. Rushed home (not far away) and caught the guy (75 miles or so across Lake Erie) on 432 and then moved to 1296 for my second DXCC country on that band  :-)

Of course all this may not work so well if the noise shows up only when it snows   :-)

73  -  Jim   K8MR