[RFI] Question: Conducted vs. Radiated Emissions

Thomas Hoyer thoyer1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 18 08:09:42 EST 2019

Typically conducted emissions are measured using a clamp on coupler and are lower in frequency. In the DO-160 I've been involved with, testing and the range for conducted emissions is typically 150khz to 150mhz.
Radiated emissions are measured with an antenna and receiver placed a specific distance from the device and are typically 100mhz and up.
In the case where there is an overlap, say you have a conducted problem at 125 mhz as well as a radiated problem at the same freq, elimininating the conducted source will usually fix the radiated issue.
We keep conducted emissions low to prevent noise from being coupled into other gear on the aircraft via the power / RTN lines. We limit radiated emissions to minimize interference to other gear via the air waves
TomW3TA