[RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Sun Dec 22 20:32:28 EST 2019

TJ Simpson at Solar Edge tells me the new optimizers use spread spectrum modulation to reduce the 200 kHz interference that I am experiencing. In January, he is coming to install those next door. The wiring has already been rerouted and ferrites installed on a previous service call, but that didn’t reduce the 200 kHz carrier amplitudes here. So we’ll see what the new optimizers do. Thankfully the system is otherwise very quiet. I did a careful walk-around with my DFing gear and indeed the main inverter is very quiet. Only the carriers from their optimizer telemetry cause me any problems.

I must commend SolarEdge on their ongoing interest in solving my RFI issues. They are not super fast, but they work is getting done and I have a knowledgeable human being to work with.  No lawyers required.

Gary Johnson NA6O
gwj at wb9jps.com