[RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Mon Dec 30 09:31:48 EST 2019

Kim is absolutely correct!  We do NOT want a measured level of interference to define "harmful interference".

The level of RFI to a big gun DXer or contester is going to be something completely different than a 75 meter guy who only rag chews with local and regional guys on weekends in the winter or to a VHF-only guy on 6 & 2 meters.

If they set a specific measured level, the DXer/Contester will be very unhappy, but the majority of hams might be just fine with it.

Here's the FCC's Part 15.3 definition of Harmful Interference that can keep nearly all hams satisfied:
(m) Harmful interference. Any emission, radiation or induction that endangers the functioning of a radio navigation service or of other safety services or seriously degrades, obstructs or repeatedly interrupts a radiocommunications service operating in accordance with this chapter. ( https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=e166a4ce09aa3e1d0025e4e6ae005023&mc=true&node=pt47.1.15&rgn=div5#se47.1.15_13 )

The part that applies to the Amateur Radio Service is:
"...or seriously degrades, obstructs or repeatedly interrupts a radiocommunications service operating in accordance with this chapter."

This applies equally to all ham radio operations at all frequencies (VLF to microwaves) used by the ham radio operator.  It also equally applies to aviation and commercial services as well.  And it applies to all part 15 devices from arcing or sparking power lines to unfiltered devices such as touch lamps or computers and everything in between.

If the FCC gave a specific level, utilities would measure the noise and only fix noises to that specific level leaving many with harmful interference.  I would be unable to convince utility management to do anything more about it.

So as this shows, we already have the best specific level of Part 15 RFI: Harmful Interference.

73, de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards