[RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 18:12:35 EST 2019

Many of you might not have been around when FCC re-visited Part 15 limits a
number of decades ago.  The limits used to be much higher for both
conducted and radiated emissions.  All the old levels were based on
mid-1950's electronic technology.  About the time CMOS hit the 10 MHz
barrier, all this was revisited.  During that time, the radiated and
conducted limits were significantly lowered (became more restrictive).  I'd
propose since we have now consistently crossed the 1 GHz threshold, we,
again, FCC, should consider revisiting those limits and again, lowering
them to better address the present frequency limitations of electronic
technology.

FCC has since increased the maximum required frequency of measurements that
applies to those limits from "the fifth harmonic of the highest frequency
used (and if you generate it, you use it)" to (if that can not be
determined) to 40 GHz.  Other than that, there have been no changes for
quite a number of decades.

Dave - WØLEV

Dave - W LEV

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 4:01 AM KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk at earthlink.net> wrote:

> "We do NOT want a measured level of interference to define "harmful
> interference"."
>
> How about just making it very, very low.  -120dB at one meter from mHz
> (1/100th of 1 Hertz) upward is adequate, should keep everyone, and
> everything happy, and not unreasonable for equipment that shouldn't be
> spewing interference anyway.
>
> This allows for a wide range of very poor design, without negative affects.
>
> We have RFI because its allowed, why not flip it from "fine, within
> these levels", to "knock that crap off"?
>
> Kurt

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*
*Just Think*