[RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 31 23:53:48 EST 2019

> "FCC has since increased the maximum required frequency of
> measurements that applies to those limits from "the fifth harmonic of
> the highest frequency used (and if you generate it, you use it)" to
> (if that can not be determined) to 40 GHz.  Other than that, there
> have been no changes for quite a number of decades."

I suppose if this was the late 50's, this would be awesome! Perhaps, in
light of how bad it has gotten, nearly 3/4 of a century later, it's time
to review the decade old standards, and come up with some real-world (as
of this time, and reasonably foreseen) requirements, with a reasonable
limit on strength.  Old junk electronics will die off, new stuff can
meet a better standard, such as we are learning with plasma TV's.

Speaking of which, I have a new to me, relatively modern vehicle, that
is an RFI/EMI cesspool.  I'm envisioning sheathing the wiring in EMI
tape and bonding everything I can.  I'll have to jump into SDR with both
feet as hearing a few kHz at a time with an HT, or even seeing a few MHz
with an HP, or Singer spectrum analyzer is no longer sufficient, I want
to see many, many MHz at a time, in real time, and also have the ability
to sniff individual wires/harnesses/modules.  It should be fun, and if a
hobbyist can do it after the fact, those in the industry can achieve it
during the design phase.

Kurt