[RFI] Monitor hash

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 10 00:24:19 EST 2019

"OR maybe there are other noise sources overpowering it, and that if you
managed to kill them you might hear it. This is the eternal problem with
taking someone's advice that "box A" is quiet. We've recently gone
through multiple power shutdowns here, thanks to PG&E's failure to
maintain their lines. During the last one, I had my K3 running on
battery, and as I always do, set the noise floor to the bottom of the
display. When the power was restored and all my neighbors' noise sources
powered up, the noise floor has risen by 15 dB."

His concern was discovering noise from the monitor, relative to the
current, average noise floor of his typical operating condition. Maybe
his location is normally noisy, and acceptable to him, if known, or even
noticed, and he hears the monitor when closer to it, which he normally
isn't.  His post didn't suggest quantifying an absolute, or even
relative to anything else, rather, is this newly discovered condition an
unusual circumstance, and, as observed under typical conditions, at that
location, no.  It could be a modulated Tesla coil, and not matter, if he
can't hear it, despite what it's capable of, so, interesting, but
irrelevant.

The statement stands, for the conditions provided:

"If you can't hear it, and don't notice a detrimental rise in the noise
floor...don't worry about it!"

He already determined the minor extend of the issue, and was looking for
support of his impression.  He is correct.

Kurt