[RFI] FCC Complaint Filing

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 15:55:55 EST 2019

For some years now, I've had good results chasing down interference with
an Icom R-7000/7100,etc' , handheld wideband scanners, and even a
Kenwood HT with wideband coverage. A remarkably simple – considering the
effort and primitive construction – loop antenna made of  coax (semi
rigid or even RG-58) with the end of the center conductor  terminated on
the shield near the BNC, simply plugged into the scanner's or HT's input
connection, let me track down the infamous 3.52 MHz AT&T "wireless"
signals;  and that configuration even let me find some 2m powerline
interference N0rth of Petaluma.  Its location, next to the local
airports control tower, got *immediate* attention.

I even got a laugh out of tracking down the AT&T stuff. I'll begin by
explaining that I junked my television set in 1997.

I had an EMCO-6511 loop antenna mag-mounted on the car roof and would
drive around until I heard more 80m noise, and then I would go from
house to house with my AR-8000 and the little loop, sometimes
pinpointing the room where the "powerline modem" was plugged in.

The laugh? I noticed, as I drove around, people running out of front
doors into  back yards, which – if steak on a barbecue needed looking at
– might have been the reason. However, I realized it was people who
thought it was from AT&T, tracking down unauthorized cable sharing
during the Super Bowl.

Cortland Richmond
KA5S