[RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Tue Aug 25 20:44:08 EDT 2020

All:

The the inverter on my neighbors solar panel installation was recently
replaced to reduce the RFI caused by the system. The swap only made a
slight change in the interference.

This left the solar panels as the possible source of RFI so my neighbor
and I conducted a test we've done previously which involves covering
each panel with tarps to see what affect it would have on the noise.

We found that the RFI completely disappeared while the tarps were
blocking the Sun from reaching the panels. The noise returned when we
removed the tarps.

I reported this to SolarEdge and they now believe that the panels are
the cause of the interference. They mentioned 2 other installations that
had this same problem with panels that were manufactured in China by
Hanwha and Trina.

The takeaway is that solar panel systems need to be checked from top to
bottom when checking the system for interference. I'm hoping SolarEdge
will keep this in mind when they address their next RFI case.

We also reported our test results to the company who leases the panels
to my neighbor. No response yet.

Tony-K2MO