[RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Sat Aug 29 19:31:29 EDT 2020

On 8/26/2020 6:53 AM, Tony Brock-Fisher wrote:

> It is highly unlikely the panels themselves generate RFI without the
> optimizers

I agree with you Tony.

When we informed SolarEdge about the noise disappearing when we covered
the panels, they came to the conclusion that solar panels themselves
were at fault.

The fact is that the entire system shut down when we covered the panels
so how they can blame the panels and discount the inverter and
optimizers is beyond me.

We know what the inverter noise looks like because all we have to do to
make it appear and disappear is turn it on and off.

The optmizers get their power from the solar panels so we had to cover
the panels to stop the RFI they emit. As you know, there's no switch to
turn them off.

Thanks to my neighbor, I have unrestricted access to the system so I've
been able to perform these tests dozens of times. I'm hoping SolarEdge
will come out and do the same.

Tony -K2MO