[RFI] USB RFI

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 11:44:17 EST 2020

I used to think that my station was pretty much free of RFI, but
recently I have discovered that on 80 and 160, running full legal power,
I am experiencing occasional interruption of USB connections between my
computer and both my radio and my WKUSB.  I am also getting audible
interference on my HDMI-based audio to my monitors.The computer, radio
and amp are bonded to a length of copper tubing, which is connected to a
ground rod right outside my ground-floor shack.  I have not, for the
moment, attempted to bond this ground to my house-power ground, which is
at the diagonally-opposite corner of my house.

I have a 10-pack of #240-31 toroids on order from KF7P, but before they
get here I'd like advice on how to attack this.  I'm thinking of
starting with the cable from my PC to my powered USB hub.  Should I also
filter the power to the hub?  I assume that to the extent that my
winkeyer and radio control involve the hub, I should also filter their
individual USB cables.  I also plan to filter the HDMI cables from my PC
to my monitors; should I plan to do the same for the power cables for
the two monitors?  In this order, or do people recommend another.

What am I missing?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now