[RFI] How to proceed?

AA5CT jwin95 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 22:51:09 EST 2020

 Pete,

I should mention I tracked down another 'dull thud' kind of line-rate
locked broadband noise on 160 meters (and slightly above 160)
to a residence about 3900 feet to my NNE ... suspect this is some
sort of electronic device and not a HV arc source ... but,one never
knows.

I have to make another run and get a better bearing to a specific
residence, then decide how to approach the owners, who may be
Asian given the language I heard while pedaling down the alley
on the bicycle while doing a 'survey' run with the Coastal Nav
receiver.

This will mark the first time I have tracked down a line-rate locked
'noise' to a residence on 160m. I have previously tracked down
'wandering carriers' to three different geographically located
'sources' at residences about 4 or 5 years back. These were most
likely wire/wireless 'dog fences' that had spurious 'wandering
carrier' (unsteady tone, NOT raspy) emissions. Such a signal
would likely have not had any 'signature' at VHF to allow it's
easy tracking and locating. Power line sources, actual arcs,
generate a fair amount of 'noise' higher in frequency given
the dynamics of the arc (the rate at which it 'fires' and
extinguishes, the rate-of-rise/rise time, etc.)

73, de AA5CT

.