[RFI] How to proceed?

AA5CT jwin95 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 17:17:05 EST 2020

 re: "And it might not be power line noise! "

This represents a trivial situation, if one has the gear to track
down, to DF such 'sources' they can be located. It used to be
the byword here - TRACK IT DOWN and identity it, and forget
the guessing game ...

Have y'all changed your 'prescription' on this? Of course not.

It really doesn't matter the actual 'source' type when it comes to
DFing, locating any of these 'sources', UNTIL you start to rely on
the energy appearing at VHF and UHF such as AC power line arcing
sources present to aid in locating a noisy power pole.

I had a power line noise source in downtown Allen that 'excited' a
distribution line from one end and on the 160 band the entire
length while just driving the street indicated 'hot' all the way
up to a riser half a block away, but, DFing at VHF/UHF the source
that was exciting that 'run' of distribution line was easy to spot,
it stood out like a sore thumb. The DF technician from Oncor
even mentioned he observed the same thing, didn't realize the
arc was coming from the end pole that had a single transformer,
surge suppressor and line fuse on it!

Anybody else have stories, tales like this they can relate?

73, de AA5CT
.
.