[RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:57:35 EST 2020

My city is in the process of converting over to LED street lamps from
the gas/vapor lamps that require h.v. to fire.  These lamps are a
nuisance because when they start to fail, they cycle off and re-fire
until they lose voltage, go dark and re-fire and this continues until
they completely fail or someone calls in the lamp to the electrical
department and they come out and fix it.   Upon gas ignition, there's
a brief burst of RFI.  I'm looking forward to the LEDs because I hope
this sort of failure won't happen.  I went out to one the the LED
light poles a few months ago with a Grundig Yachtboy shortwave rx and
tuned from medium wave up through 20 meters while standing right under
the lamp and I heard zero RFI so I relaxed about it here, but I have
no idea if they were Lumenistics or something else.

73

Rob
K5UJ