[RFI] RFI from arcing power pole 1.1 miles away (video capture of the arc)

Charles Plunk af4o at twc.com
Mon Dec 20 15:53:21 EST 2021

On 12/20/21 2:18 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> He expects that BGE will act quickly on the arcing cutout, perhaps in
> a day or less, since it may eventually fail open

Very Good point. I wonder how much money was saved, not to mention
safety (disabled using powered medical equipment for instance) by Don,
you, me, and many others finding these things prior to outages?

My last big find was an 7.2kv cutout. Had a crack in the porcelain. A
astute lineman found it. I saw an arc but it was on the opposite side of
the pole from where the cutout was. Pole was in the corner of my back
yard so you can imagine the havoc i had for many months. All quiet now
(fingers, toes, etc crossed).

73

Chuck
W4NBO