[RFI] New RFI

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:51:25 EST 2021

As a follow up to the Moxon antenna suggestion a week or so ago, I built a
couple of Moxon antennas this week (one for 146 MHz and one for 136 MHz)
but ran into some problems with some online design calculators that I
thought I should warn folks about.  I stumbled upon some online calculators
that generate dimensions for the Moxon antenna (KG4ZOW and W4/VP9KF
calculators), and they both generated values that did not model correctly
when using 4NEC2.  I then downloaded the program MoxGen (by AC6LA) and the
dimensions generated by this program model correctly (proper pattern, SWR,
etc.), and it provides dimensions similar to the QST article by K1BQT.  I
did more digging and found an error in one line of the source code that
KG4ZOW said he uses, and I have notified KG4ZOW and W4/VP9KF (should have
been a multiply function versus the divide function that was used).

I suggest folks only build the Moxon antenna based on the K1BQT article or
the MoxGen program.

Initial testing of my 136 and 146 MHz Moxons look good, and now I will test
my 136 MHz Moxon under real life conditions versus my 4 element Yagi when
locating faulty power lines to see what benefit they might offer (I
definitely like the smaller size of the Moxon).

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)