[RFI] Shielded CAT6 Ethernet cable

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 00:43:05 EDT 2021

> Building your own Ethernet cable is not a simple matter, and requires a
> special crimper. Ethernet cable is four twisted pairs, each twisted at a
> different rate to minimize crosstalk. The pairs must be maintained
> end-to-end at specific pins, so that each of the four circuits is a
> twisted pair.

A few minutes work, once you buy the stuff at Home Depot, or Lowe's.  I
bought the following, to make my own, because I was tired of the poor
quality consumer crap that's out there, and failure, after failure,
after failure...  I've chucked more pre-made cables than I can count in
the past twenty+ years, and the ones I still have- I just haven't
chucked yet.

I didn't go with shielded, but those parts are out there as well, just a
little more in cost.

Cable, 1000':

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-1-000-ft-23-4-Solid-CU-CAT6-CMR-Riser-Data-Cable-in-Blue-56918949/202316391

Crimper, this one trims the wires!:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-FT-45-Feed-Thru-Modular-Plug-Data-Crimper/1000321537

For phone, as well:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-RJ45-RJ11-Modular-Data-Voice-Crimp-Tool-Kit/3928373

A stripper:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-PreoPro-Coax-Utp-Stripper/3701290

Feed-through connectors make ALL!!! the!!! difference!!!:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-CAT-6-Feed-Thru-RJ45-Mod-Plugs-50-pk/5001486193

Get a good cable cutter like this, don't rely on your old diagonal cutters!:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Coax-Cutter/1000091977

I wanted to test more than just cables, so bought this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-VDV-MultiMedia-Cable-Digital-Test-Meter/1000358227

I also have trouble identifying wires through floors, walls, and rooms,
after a pull, so I snagged this, as well:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Test-Tone-Trace-Kit-Digital-Test-Meter/1000138337

Then I bought all the related parts, and tools for telephone, and video
once I learned ethernet.

Whipping out cables is absurdly easy with the right tools.  If you
haven't done it before, there IS a learning curve, but it's easy, and
you should have excellent homebrew cables by the third, or fourth try!

I bought quad-shield video cable, I can't recommend that.  I'm sure it's
good stuff, but oddly, the connectors made by the same companies, are
only for DUAL shield wire!  The local thrift shop was excited for a
kilo-foot roll of quad shielded cable.  I hope whoever buys it finds the
right connectors.

I bought all the stuff above, just starting out.  Never even tried, went
in blind, worked out very well, now I make what I need!  I'm WAAAAAAAY
ahead of the game.  I could have saved two decades plus of money wasted,
and grief, due to typical consumer quality garbage, had I just learned
to make my own in the 90's.

Kurt