[RFI] portable flag tra king RFI

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Sun May 23 19:24:27 EDT 2021

Hi Don - thanks for all your hand-holding.  Finished mine today and it
works fine.  I used 1" PVC pipe for the arms, and screwed them to either
side of a 1X6.  I figured the 3/4" offset wouldn't matter, and it
appears I was right.  With the MTM Scientific W7IUV preamp and a TECSUN
PL-880 receiver, it easily picked up the 5-8 MHz, every-50-KHz signal
I've been trying to find, and localized it (by ear) to within about 20
degrees of arc.  Tomorrow I'm going on the road to triangulate it and
move in.

I'm really curious to see what it is.  It looks like this:

As you can see, it's not deafening, and I was a little worried that the
flag+RX sensitivity might not be enough, even with the preamp, but there
is plenty of signal.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.