[RFI] RFI ID Help Needed

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:24:51 EDT 2021

Hi Joe,

You said you have driven around the neighborhood with DF gear but with no
luck.  The real question is if you can hear this when you step outside your
house with DF gear (don't jump in a car driving around, first get your DF
gear working so you can hear the signal when standing outside your house).
That signal you show is so strong (10 to 20 dB over your noise floor) that
you should easily hear it with a small DF loop outside your house as long
as you have enough preamp gain.  If you can't hear it then you need more
preamp gain or the signal likely originates in your house.

K0AV suggested using the portable flag, and that would make finding this
kind of signal a no brainer based on my experience, but a small (12 to 14
inch diameter) shielded untuned loop made with a hunk of coax would still
work wonders as long as you use a preamp (you probably will only need 10 or
20 dB of preamp gain but that's easy to achieve).  The key is to have
enough gain so you can hear the signal from right outside your house if at
all possible before you start walking or driving around.  I would love
having a RFI signal like your currently experiencing to find as it's very
distinctive.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)