[RFI] RFI ID Help Needed

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 19:39:44 EDT 2021

Hi Joe,

The loop you are using is called the "Scoop Loop" which was designed by
W1FB and even without any external capacitor the highest frequency of
resonance for that tuned shielded loop antenna is around 3.6 MHz, and you
really need to use something other than that antenna up on 14 MHz where you
are encountering the RFI.

There are many different simple antennas you can use but considering your
RFI is on 14 MHz and considering the strength of your RFI, I would
recommend what I consider to be the simplest untuned shielded loop you can
build, and I call it the VK loop because it was designed by the Radio
Amateur Society of Australia.  My testing uncovered the fact that the VK
loop has very poor performance below 10 MHz (very low gain compared with a
traditional untuned loop of similar size), but on 14 MHz and above it works
well compared with a traditional untuned shielded loop, and it definitely
is the easiest to build, and based on your recent reports you should be
able to hear your RFI with this antenna.

The VK untuned shielded loop is just a piece of coax with a BNC connector
or PL259 connector on each end of the coax, but the center conductor of the
coax is cut off on one end of the coax so it's not connected to the BNC or
PL259 connector.  You then remove about 1 inch of shield in the middle of
this piece of coax.  You then connect each end of the coax to a Tee
connector to form the loop, and that's the entire antenna.  You then
connect a short piece of coax to the center of the Tee connector for your
feedline.  The beauty of the shielded loop is that it provides great
balance without the need of any chokes to combat common mode issues that
can destroy the pattern, and the beauty of untuned loops is that they are
broadband.  It also has a low impedance so you can get away with just
feeding it into a receiver or preamp with a 50 ohm input without doing any
impedance matching (typically works just fine).

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the VK untuned shielded loop
https://youtu.be/Ivr9VbSgjUU.  I really don't recommend it for use below 14
MHz, but for 14 MHz through 30 MHz it works really well for DFing.  If you
need something quick and easy the VK shielded untuned loop is definitely
something to consider.

What I call a traditional untuned shielded loop is also very easy to build
and it works much better than the VK untuned shielded loop when you go
below 14 MHz but it's slightly more complicated to build (but still dang
easy and only takes about 30 minutes to build).  The traditional untuned
shielded loop is just a piece of coax but one end of the coax has its
center conductor and shield connected together, and they are then
terminated (soldered) to the shield of the coax at the other end of this
piece of coax.  Let me know if you want more info on the traditional
untuned shielded loop.

The portable flag with preamp really can't be beat and I bet you would hear
your 14 MHz RFI with the portable flag even without a preamp based on how
strong your RFI is.  The beauty of the portable flag is that it's
unidirectional which greatly simplifies radio direction finding as you
instantly know what direction the RFI is coming from.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)