[RFI] Working with Utilities

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Sep 11 16:05:36 EDT 2021

A simple setup I've used for chasing impulse noise consists of both a
mobile rig and a talkie programmed for AM at around 160 MHz, 200, 300,
500, and the highest frequency at which they work (the Kenwood TH-F6A
talkie goes to about 560 MHz). I drive around with the mobile rig and
mag-mount vertical set to 160MHz until the signal is loud, then move
higher in frequency as I get closer. When I get close enough, I switch
to the talkie at it's highest limit, or around 440-450 MHz where my
small Yagi is tuned.

Without the Yagi, I'll use a duck on the talkie, holding it against my
body to form a half-space antenna.

73, Jim K9YC