[RFI] Working with Utilities

Hare, Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Sun Sep 12 03:46:34 EDT 2021

<So let me get this straight. If hams make false complaints then the utility is ok to blow us off.>​

 I never said it was okay, so i am not sure how you got that out of my words.  What I did say is that if hams make complaints to utilities about non-utility sources, it is very possible that the utility will stop responding to those complaints, so it is pretty important to get it right the first time.

There are a few premises at play here.  First, th utility is responsible only for interference  its equipment creates.  Under the rules, if they are causing harmful interference, it is their responsibility to find it and correct interference they create.  Some utilities do a great job at this. In other cases, they do not have the equipment or skills to do this, so the process will generally go much better of amateurs can find the source.  This also eliminates the false report problem.

Under FCC rules, power-line sparking and arcing sources are incidental emitters. As such, they have no specific limits on radiated or conducted emissions, just a requirement that the operator of incidental emitters not cause harmful interference.  So all those noises we hear driving around are not necessarily illegal in and of themselves.  If they are causing harmful interference, then they are actionable, but FCC generally does not consider transitory interference to mobile operators to be harmful interference.

Ed