[RFI] 8982 KHz RFI?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 23 14:55:11 EDT 2021

On 9/23/2021 9:37 AM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
>  From what the fellow says, "The noise comes in with the darkness".

It is quite common for noise we hear to be propagated, like any other
signal, and for band noise to rise when a band opens. The noise we hear
when a band is open can include everything from "static" from distant
lightning and power line arcs to a combination of hundreds or thousands
of electronic noise sources like switch-mode power supplies, variable
speed motor controllers, microprocessors, and solar systems.

All of these noise sources have multiplied over the years, raising band
noise for all of us, in addition to those sources close to us. When I
moved from Chicago to NorCal in 2006, I was able to work EU on CW, and
made at least a dozen QSOs in a few years. In the last five years, and
with better antennas for both RX and TX, I've heard four CW signals from
EU, and one of them heard me. The difference is noise on both sides of
the QSO.

73, Jim K9YC