[RFI] Another Solar Panel Interference Case

Steve Dyer W1SRD w1srd at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 13:54:38 EDT 2022

Here is where the FCC is:
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/fcc-requests-budget-increase
The FCC has 1550 employees to manage all the spectrum issues for a
country of 330,000,000 citizens and a GDP of $21,000,000,000,000 (that's
trillions).
Verizon alone has 130,000 employees. AT&T has 200,000.
For comparison, the FCC budget request is .05% of the defense budget
request.
AT&T, Verizon, Charter and T-Mobile spent $107M in lobbying in 2020.
Perhaps most telling is this graph of FCC headcount 1983-2016.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-331835A1.pdf
I would say we are getting the level of service and outcomes we are
paying for.
73,
Steve
W1SRD
> And the "official" reply from FCC to the impacted (RFI) coverage areas for
> AM BC, "Increase your output power."  Sure.....Yea......That costs the BCer
> money both for a new transmitter and continuing additional fees to pay the
> electric bill.
>
> Yes, where is the FCC??
>
> Dave - WØLEV
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 3:24 PM EDWARDS, EDDIE J via RFI <rfi at contesting.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've only seen RFI mentioned in passing a few times in Radio World a
>> broadcast magazine.  Doesn't seem to be an issue for broadcasters typically
>> operating from 5,000 watts to 50,000 watts.
>>
>> If you think about it, it's not going to be much of an issue to local AM
>> broadcasters who are using very strong local transmissions on ground wave
>> to the receivers.  They may only lose fringe or rural area listeners, and
>> only if those listeners get solar systems.  Compare that to amateur radio
>> operators running only 100 watts (typical) or less or rarely up to
>> 1,500watts (max) transmitting through the ionosphere once or multiple times
>> with 40-70db or more of loss and requiring highly sensitive receivers to
>> pick up the weak signals.
>>
>> Most AM broadcasters won't be affected much at all with minimal loss of
>> listeners.  But Amateur Radio will be.
>>
>> 73, de ed -K0iL

>>> fo/rfi__;!!AvPafw!dxGg2ifZCN7xSodVZsBtQEydRbQDN5J_ybzoVIpI786A6mOsqR0v