[RFI] Interesting power line cable damage found while tracking down power line RFI

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:30:33 EDT 2022

A few days ago I was out tracking down some power line noise that was
causing interference at KB9RPG, and later in the day when looking at
pictures I had taken of the suspect pole I happened to notice damage on one
of the 3 phase cables that the suspect pole supports.  I then went back the
next day with my 14.1 Mega Pixel camera with 30X zoom, and sure enough it
appears that numerous strands have been cut, snapped, or melted, and you
can see pictures of this damaged cable in a youtube video I just uploaded.
Zoomed in picture of the damaged cable is at the 2:13 point in the video.

As I told the utility company I'm not saying the damaged cable is directly
or indirectly related to the RFI originating from this pole.  Nevertheless
identifying the damaged cable helps get priority from the utility company.

I have a good working relationship with the utility companies manager of
the group that deals with RFI at AES in Indianapolis and yesterday he told
me they plan to take a look at this pole early next week (weather
permitting).

For those interested, here is a link to my youtube video that documents
this case:.https://youtu.be/Z_on9_vfID4

Just FYI, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)