[RFI] Powerline noise question

Hare, Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Fri Dec 30 06:37:54 EST 2022

I once located a power-line noise with only an 80-meter receiver and step attenuator. It was S9+40 dB along about a half mile of power line.  I drove the line, got a rough idea of the worst area.  I then stopped and cranked in maximum attenuation. I heard the characteristic hiss of the receiver front-end noise.  I then reduced attenuation until I could just hear the 120-Hz buzz above the receiver noise.  I then drove the line again and found that it went up to about S3 at the next pole, then tapered off in either direction.  I then set attenuation to zero and found that I could hear it weaker and weaker all the way to the amateur's house.  This requires a "trained" ear that can tell the difference between receiver noise and `120-Hz buzzy power line noise, but it was a valid technique that worked.