[RFI] Powerline noise question

Charles Plunk af4o at twc.com
Fri Dec 30 17:54:00 EST 2022

There maybe (likely) lots of noise out there unrelated to the noise in
your receiver. Seems to me like most every pole around here has some
noise when dfing. If you think its a power pole and you think you have
located this pole via all the great suggestions so far, here is a crude
method I used to make sure before calling the power co. If you have the
gear or want to acquire it. I know I have acquired a lot of gear over
the years to find power line arc's. Money well spent to me.

Takes patience. You say it goes away with a rain. I bet at some point it
becomes intermittent (random pattern) for a while before ceasing. Oh I
see now you say its 0.9 seconds bursts apart, that maybe enough. At this
point (it has a pattern and not solid noise) re-transmit the audio from
your station receiver to an ht you are carrying. Then take a second HT
(2m/440 etc) with portable yagi and point at the pole. If the
intermittent pattern matches on both ht's to your ears, bingo. Its a
great sound to hear if they match. Or confirmation you are at the wrong
pole.

Just another tip that helped me a lot.

73

Chuck