[RFI] Bosch Heat Pump

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jun 26 19:46:03 EDT 2022

Hi Wes,

No experience to share, but I can share what I've learned about these
systems in general from those who have experience with variable speed
systems.

A common problem is caused by layout of the installation, where the
controller is widely displaced from the motor, poor wiring practices are
followed, creating both magnetic and EM fields. My first detailed info
was from the late Neil Muncy, W3WJE, who as a consultant encountered
strong magnetic fields from controllers for a large bank of elevator
motors in at the NJ Performing Arts Center, for which he had designed
sound systems. The trash was coupling into mic lines via Pin One
Problems and a cable defect called Shield-Current-Induced Noise. Details
of the latter mechanism in an AES Paper on my website. In the process of
diagnosing and solving the problem, he found internal applications notes
from a mfr of those control systems.

Solutions include twisted pair for all current-carrying conductors, and
including bonding conductors that intimately follow the current carrying
conductors, thus minimizing both the magnetic field and loops sufficient
to act as antennas. One of the loops is formed bypass capacitors to
building and/or frame ground; DC and mains fundamental follows the path
of least resistance, while higher frequencies follow the path of least
impedance; running that bonding conductor with the power forms a
transmission line, providing that lower impedance. I learned this
fundamental principle at an IEEE Engineering Conference many years ago.

An EE consultant I met nearly 20 years ago who was the father of my
client contact at a church got to chatting about this problem, and we
found ourselves nodding our heads in sync as to solutions.

In summary, it's related both to design/construction of the hardware and
to how systems are installed.

Another thing I learned as a result of long experience in the EMC
Working Group of the AES Standards Committee is that Europe pays a lot
more attention to EMC than we do, with the result that some products
designed and built there to sell there, and exported here, tend to be
better than average EMC performers. I experienced that with HF radio in
a Volvo S80 that had no problems, as opposed to my Toyota Sequoia (big
SUV), whose computer went into "limp home" along I-80 in Northern NV.
Luckily I had tools that allowed me to reboot it by disconnecting the
battery.

73, Jim K9YC