[RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)

David Colburn qrv at kd4e.com
Sun Jun 25 14:38:21 EDT 2023

CyberPower 1500VA Sine Wave UPS.

Delivered from Costco - abysmally packed (only the display box, which
was badly dented and torn).

Only scuffs to unit due to protection of corners and display by formed
styrofoam.

Plugged in and it powered up and charged - pulled the plug and switched
to backup mode. OK.

Using a Tecsun PL-600 I scanned the room on FM-BC, AM-BC, and up through
SW - lots of existing

noise sources from computers and power supplies (hobby/radio room is all
steel so no impact on

antenna-sourced reception).

Plugged in UPS and discovered that the RFI radiates only from one side -
looking at the faceplate,

it would be the left side.

RFI is primarily AM-BC - 80 meters, after that it fades quickly.

Using a handheld 2/440 TYT I found no RFI on 2m or 440.

Obviously very crude testing but thought I'd share for consideration.

David, KD4E