[RSM] 160M Vertical Upgrade at VE6SV

Gord Kosmenko gord.kosmenko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:07:18 EDT 2017

Hello RSM Members!

Another antenna upgrade project happening at VE6SV.

This time adding a actual ground screen to the 1/4 160M vertical.
The vertical has 60 1/4 wave radials around the compass of the vertical
from the initial construction phase.

Given we are still at the bottom of the sunspot cycle and will be here for
at least another (2) years thought I increase the radiation efficiency with
a ground screen.

Had couple rolls of fencing page wire left over from fencing the average
a number years ago ....time to re-purpose it!

The 160M vertical occupies a wet area on the property, which stays wet
most of the year. At this time of year going into fall it starts to dry out.
The first task cut the swamp grass down to its roots!

Manged to cut it down approx. 250 degress around the vertical.

The ground screen extends approx. 75 feet around the base, when complete.

Here's a dropbox link to view some pictures of first stages of this project.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pzf6btpmb3age4/AADJZPmTthGl5Y55_5NST7Lpa?dl=0

It will take me another 4 to 5 days to complete including soldering up
the screen wire to the main radial/ground.

Hope you found this interesting ....

73, Gord VE6SV