[RSM] VE4VT arrl dx cw result

Ed ed_richardson at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 20 09:51:01 EST 2017

Call: VE4VT <http://www.3830scores.com/findcall.php?call=VE4VT>
Class: SO Unlimited HP

Band

QSOs

Mults

160:

80:

40:

20:

15:

10:

Total:

Total Score

486,243

A lot of disappointment and Murphy with this contest. I was planning a major
effort but for the second weekend in a row that didn't occur.

Friday night I was distracted early on dealing with family matters. Got on
later to work a few EU on 40 and even 80m.  I have seen the sunrise peak
effect on 80m when it has been my sunrise, but this was the first time I
heard it from the west side of the link. Just before or during the European
sunrise, several EU stations appeared out of the noise and were suddenly
workable on 80.Since my noise is S9, the signals were quite loud.

Missed most of Sunday morning dealing with work emergency. I guess the
melting conditions are causing havoc with old underground wiring.

Other observations

1.      15m to Europe was badly skewed. Instead of aiming at 40-50 degrees
azimuth, best signals were found aiming 90-140 degrees. The skewed path
signals were weak but if aimed direct, they were not copyable.

2.      No 10m at all on Saturday, some weak openings on Sunday.

3.      Worked a pile of Europe on Saturday afternoon local time on 40m.
Starting about 3 hours before sunset, it appears that the auroral oval is
not quite obscuring the path and signals are weak but workable. It also has
the advantage that the east coast is still busy working the higher bands so
there is less competition for their ears and they can pull our weak signals
out.

4.      It was neat working a 4X4 on 40m at 9 AM local time.

5.      The strange 20m path to JA around noon local time was back. A short
period where signals from Japan arrive over the pole  very strong and free
of any flutter.

6.      How can stations be 20/9 and they can't hear you and the next
station is sub ESP level and they get a perfect copy first time?

7.      This was 100% S&P. I only worked 1 QRP station at 5 watts.

8.      Didn't quite get DXCC in a weekend, ended with 99 unique DXCC.

I am not sure if it was a lack of participation or just conditions, but
there wasn't a lot of exotic DX to be heard.

The SSB event in a couple weeks promised to be a real QRM fest with the
whole world stuck on 20m and no place to run.

73 Ed

Prefix

1.8

3.5