[RSM] Sweepstakes

Ed ed_richardson at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 20 09:57:58 EST 2017

Like many others, missed ND and PR.  With the hurricane devastation it was
no surprise that they did not get on as usual. I did see a spot for them on
Saturday night on 40m but I could not hear them and they were gone quickly.

The station from ND that got on did not work bands at the times favorable to
us. The bands were always way to long.

I was worried about getting ONN in the log. I saw spots for Tom VE3CX but
could never hear him. Finally found a lonely VE3RX calling on 80m at 0217z
Saturday night. Ended up working Tom 3 hours later on 80m. Sorry Jack, we
just never heard you.  Maybe you are right. We need to arrange an RSM net
for the last 30 minutes of the contest. That way because we are a net we can
kick people off a frequency and demand they QSY and leave us a clear
frequency.  (Ok maybe I am still a little bitter about recent events.)

Lots of activity from MB and I didn't see or hear anyone complaining about
missing the MB mult. I worked VE4's TV, AHW, XT, EA, ET, EV.

Results this year are down from previous years and scores seem to be
following the sunspot cycle.  It will be tough the next few years with
everyone packed into 20m and 40m. I won't talk about 80m until my ears stop
bleeding.

Does someone have a list of frequencies and times for all the bovine nets,
weather nets, prescription med nets, antique equipment nets, ? It may help
in strategy planning sessions for next year. We all know to avoid 14.300 and
14.140 during DX contests, but there seems to be a plethoria of "other nets"
that pop up. Hmmm maybe a RSM meeting topic for the future on strategies for
finding, holding and defending a run frequency. Tom and Rob I am looking at
you here!

Band     QSOs     Pts  Sec  Pt/Q

   3.5     176     352    2   2.0

     7     504    1008   24   2.0