[RSM] CQWW 2017 VE4VT recap - Long

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 23:16:56 EDT 2017

Thanks for the tips.

A few more to add to the list:

Check 40 around 4-5 P.M.  I find I can work EU stations for an hour or
two.  After that, I tend to loose them until much later.

For 10 meters, I read a story where the sun needs to warm things up, so I
start checking around lunch, and things get better later in the afternoon.
It almost seems like we get the odd opening, then things disappear again
<sigh>

I was at VE3JM, and finding a spot to run was hard.  I typically settled
just above 7.200.  Problem being - the top end of 40 in EU is 7.2
Later on at night, I sat down after VE3JM was running on 40, and he was
running EU <big smile>.  He was around 7149.  The trick?  Using his EU
beverage for RX with the yagi for TX.
I know - not a trick everyone can use, but if you can muster a RX antenna
to use on 40 (helps cut down on QRM) and can find a hole, it is surprising
how many Q's you can add to your log.

Tom - VE3CX