[RSM] In the dark

Ed ed_richardson at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 11 09:59:56 EST 2018

Hi Marion.

I would like to make some smart Alecky answers but living with a patient wife like I do, I know thjere has to be a solution.

About the only thing that can make noise that you can hear in a fluorescent light is something called a ballast.  It is basically the power supply that converts the house voltage to  a voltage used by the lights. When Cary is not on the radio, do you hear a slight hum when you turn on the kitchen lights?

What is likely happening is the energy emitted from Cary's antenna is getting into the ballast, (or miore likely all the AC wiring) and causing this ballast to start and stop in time with Cary's signal.

So my suggestions for resolution.

1. Replace the ballast on the light. Do not replace it with a commercial grade product. Use one specifically designed for residential use. A homeowner can do this.

2. A little more difficult would be to choke off the radio frequency (RF) energy before it gets into the light. The simple way is to wrap the ac wiring entering the ballast around a ferrite core. 6 or 7 times. That woulkd require access to the wiring likely in the attic. That gets rid of common mode signals. If that isn’t sufficient then purchasing (or building) a differential mode filter and installing it at the light fixture should help.

3. As suggested, changing the entire light fixture away from fluorescence may eliminate the problem if you can still get enough illumination. Unfortunately that may be difficult without a complete kitchen remodel. But hey you are worth that!

4. There are "whole house" protection circuits that install on your breaker panel. These help keep noise and transients off your AC voltage entering the home. These are a good idea but likely won't help this issue.

5. Tackling the issue right at the source, the radio and amplifier Cary is using is obviously the root cause. To address these, Cary should donate his amplifier to Harm as they both have the same matching radio. Alternatively replace Cary's defective radio with a KX3  or a Heathkit HW100, Cary could select his preference. These are sever measures and I would try steps 1-4 first.

Ed