[RSM] [PVRC] VHF Operating Protocols

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 12:39:04 EDT 2021

At the RSM Zoom meeting last night there was some talk about operating in
this weekends VHF contest.  FWIW, here is some info for how one of the Big
Guns does it down here.  W3SO is in western-ish Pennsylvania.  Some PVRC
ops from the MD-DC area do the multi-op VHF contests there.

73, Art K3KU/VE4VTR
=========================
[PVRC] VHF Operating Protocols
There has been some chit-chat to coordinating antenna pointing and band
/ mode schedules among various VHF clubs and individuals.
Not much has come of it so far.
Ditto on procedures for band passing during FT4/FT8 contacts.

FYI: W3SO traditionally points antennas this (Balt, Wash, Richmond) way
from our perch in WPA at the start of the contest.

I circulated widely a proposal to create a "Contest within a Contest"
which accepts multiple, different mode, contacts per band...
3 contacts on 6m and 2m:
    - CW in the CW band only
    - SSB, SSB/CW, or FM
    - Digital (FT4-preferred; FT8, MS, EME, etc.)
2 contacts on the higher bands:
    - CW,SSB,SSB/CW,FM
    - Digital

Not clear how many stations will actively participate.
Try. They should simply work dupes anyway. Right?

W3SO will gladly accept multiple, different mode, contacts per band.

There is a growing movement to adopt something akin to our operating
schedule, though not necessarily exactly ours.

At W3SO (FN00) we will try to use the operating schedule below:
1. SSB at the top of every EVEN UTC hour.
2. CW - in the (6m, 2m) CW band portion - at the top of the ODD UTC hour
3. FT4 in between; FT8 only when nothing else available.
4. SSB or CW when Eskip or Tropo conditions exist.

Self plug:
We tend to hang out around 50.165 and 144.213 SSB
and will try 50.095 and 144.093 for CW;
222.115 and 432.115 on the higher bands.

Bob, w3idt
. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT
.
. w3idt at comcast.net