[RTTY] SCC RTTY Championship - band change rule

Hill, Don dhill@cprk.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:56:06 -0500

There is a limit of 10 band changes per hour in the upcoming
SCC RTTY Championship.  I'm somewhat confused for the reasoning
behind the rule.   Was it added to limit 2-radio single ops?

At first, one might think it limits 2-radio use, but looking at
it a bit closer, it actually allows 2 radio operators the same
advantage as usual over single radio operators.  So it doesn't
make sense in that respect.

Everyone, single and multi-op stations, have to keep track of
band changes per hour.  For SARTG, I made only 5 contacts on the
2nd radio so ended up turning it off.  I basically ran single
radio for the contest and did mostly S&P and easily did over 10
band changes per hour looking for multipliers, especially at
the end of the contest.  So the 10 band change limit appears to
have no significant meaning for the SCC contest other than to
limit activity.  I'm sure the sponsors didn't have this in mind.
I was going to send an E-mail to the contest manager, but I'm
not sure who that is.  If the contest manager is a subscriber to
this reflector, perhaps he/she could explain the reason for the
rule.

I've operated the SCC RTTY Championship in the past and enjoyed
it.  I received a very nice certificate from the sponsors.  It's
one of my favorite pieces of wallpaper.  See it at:
http://www.geocities.com/aa5au/cert_sccrtty99.html

Those of you entering this weekend's contest, get your pad of
paper out so you can keep track of your band changes.  If I do
decide to enter, I won't be keeping track of band changes.  I'll
leave that up to the log checkers.  The sponsors can make any
rules they want.  That's fine.  But why take away from the fun?

73, Don AA5AU