[RTTY] SCC RTTY Championship - band change rule

Robert Bajuk s57aw@bit.si
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:28:06 +0200

Hi Don & others !

I will try to explain the reasons for the 10 band-changes rule in SCC RTTY
Contest.
I should say that the contest rules were pretty changed this year by the
organizer (Slovenia Contest Club) and they will effect next weekend for the
first time.

SCC RTTY contest is quite "young" contest - since 1998. Mario - S56A was the
father of this competition and SCC RTTY director in 1998 - 99. We should
just say to him "tnx for the job well done". It was my pleasure to accept
the role of the SCC RTTY manager after Mario's resignation in 2000.

Regarding the "only 10 band changes" contest rule :

SCC is organizer of 2 pretty large contests (EUHFC and SCC RTTY).

There was an idea to make the rules of both contests to be alike as much as
possible (there are same mults in both contest - number of the year the
amateur radio license was FIRST officially issued to the operator).

10-band changes restriction is also present in EUHFC. The reason for this
limitation is quite simple and the idea was born during the precise log
checking & processing.
There were some SINGLE OP. stations (particularly in EUHFC contest) with 8
or even more QSOs in one minute on 3 different bands.
We are hams and we all "know which way the wind blows". So you can find the
sense of the rule on your own.
We are trying to prevent those MULTI (SINGLE) ops. from transmitting on 2 or
even 3 bands at the same moment. Perhaps there will be a lot of voices
against this rule but we are trying to make the conditions nearly the same
for all the competitors.

As an illustration:

I was QRV about 1 hour during RTTY contest few months ago and what I
discovered. There is a world well know Single Op. station from Eastern EU
which is active in all major contest on all modes. He was calling CQ on 20m
and 15m at the same time like a beacon. This is totally unfair in my opinion
and I think we all agree about one thing - this is not SO2R but M/M, isn't
it ?

10 band changes are permitted in one full hour! You can hunt mults on the
other bands with the second radio like you did before but there are some
"fuses" for those who are trying to double-cross the rules! You have a lot
of space looking for MULTS with the SO2R setup, so the rule wasn't added to
limit 2-radio single ops!

What else is new in SCC RTTY rules ?

- 4 categories only - SOAB (LP & HP) and M/S (LP & HP). All the entries are
all bands only.

- Plaques (if sponsored) will be awarded to the first place finishers in
each of four (4) entry categories.

We are still looking for 50$ sponsors for plaques ? If someone would like
to be a donor for any plaque, PSE e-mail me for details !

- Cabrillo is preferred but not mandatory log format (it is supported in
Writelog, RCKRtty, not sure about WF1B)

- We will accept electronic logs only (via e-mail or floppy disk). If you
are logging on the paper you have to make a fair copy into the file by
yourself.

- Deadline for log submission : September 15th

We strongly recommend submission of logs via e-mail!

E-mail submission address: rtty@hamradio.si

New rules and contest results are available at
http://lea.hamradio.si/~scc/rtty.html

73's and prepare your RTTY gear for the next weekend !

Robert, S57AW
SCC RTTY Contest Manager