[RTTY] Bandwidth of a RTTY signal (was:SO2R RTTY Radio)

Richard W. Solomon w1ksz@tiac.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:42:04 -0400

Sorry to hear that the 250 Hz filter is too narrow. I guess all those
Q's I made with my FT-990 and 250 Hz filter are NG !!
Seriously, I use the 250 Hz filter quite often, when I also add in the
DSP-59Y the result is phenomenal.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Ekki
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 4:18 PM
To: _Rtty
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Bandwidth of a RTTY signal (was:SO2R RTTY Radio)

> If possible, use a 250 Hz filter for RTTY.  500 Hz is ok for Pactor but
> unnecessarily wide for RTTY.

I beg to differ :-)
250 Hz is too narrow for RTTY with 170 Hz Shift at 45Bd.

Practice in commercial RF systems shows that the required baseband signal is
1.6 times the keying speed (45.45 Bd). This applies to non rhytmical
signals, for a perfect square wave (a rhytmic signal) the factor would be
~1. The factor 1.6 is a compromise for minimum bandwidth at minimal impulse
distortions.

Bb = 45.45 * 1.6 = 72.72 Hz

Using a FM shift we get a FM bandwidth of

Bfm = 2 * (shift/2 + Bb)

Bfm = 2 * (170/2 + 72.72)= 315.44 Hz

So a 250Hz IF filter is too narrow, except for vy good signals and
considering that real world filters are not perfect.

It get's worse when 200Hz shift are used, as it is unfortunately happing
more and more because it's the standard shift for Pactor-1 and some TUs use
the same shift for all modes. With 200Hz shift the required bandwidth is
345Hz, the gain in S/N ratio vs. 170Hz shift is negligible.

Maybe some think i may be splitting hairs, but since i have the 756Pro i had
the chance to play around with various IF bandwidths. Indeed, 250Hz is
working less good than 350Hz if the signal is noisy or has flutter.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR