[RTTY] Bandwidth of a RTTY signal (was:SO2R RTTY Radio)

Bruce Lifter, WT4I rr wt4i@cfl.rr.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:09:17 -0400

It is my experience that both 250Hz and 500Hz filters both have their
strengths.

I generally run with 500 Hz filters unless the bands get too crowded.
I like to hear what is close to me. Additionally, I like my TNCs to copy
wide. If I get called off frequency, I do not want to play with the RIT.
Some of my TNCs will actually copy stations as much as 40-50 Hz off frequency.

If conditions get crowded, I will switch to the 250 Hz filter. If there
is nearby QRM, the narrow filter will copy at times when the 500 Hz filter
won't.

Granted that the 250 Hz filter may trim the edges of the mark or space.
The question is whether there is enough energy left to detect the
tones?

Also consider that it is theoretically possible to copy RTTY with just
one of the tones.

73, Bruce