[RTTY] Important RTTY contests?

Phil Cooper GU0SUP Phil Cooper GU0SUP" <pcooper@guernsey.net
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 22:09:37 +0100

Hi Ekki and the group,

It has already been said that CQWW is the biggest and probably the best,
with many of the others coming a close second.

I guess the ones that aren't covered by the WF1B software are the ones that
many of us do not enter - for example the Anatolian contest, but it may also
be because there is little participation in these events.

I do enjoy ALL the contests, and would willingly participate in a RTTY leg
of the IARU championships!

The list that Barry sent us does seem to include contests that are not
really that well publicised, such as the DARC Corona and Seanet contests, so
I don't really think these can be counted! Many of us have probably never
even HEARD of them. As for the Ukrainian contest, well I switched on the rig
last year, and in TWO HOURS, I didn't hear ONE single RTTY QSO in progress,
let alone a contest QSO!

In the main, there is one a month, with the odd month with two contests.
Since ANARTS a few weeks ago, there is nothing good until the Russian
contest, and then we are into SARTG in mid August. Inclusion in the IARU
would be a good gap-filler, with the potential to be a big one in the
calendar.
OK, there is the NAQP, but that doesn't really encourage non-W
participation. I know we are welcome, but it does seem to be a bit of a
"closed shop".

For many of us who never get near the top of the pile in a contest, it is
the taking part that counts, and the fun one can have on RTTY that I enjoy.
I am always on the hunt for new countries, so I take whatever chance I can
get at working a new one. This can often mean that contests such as CQWW or
WPX atract mini dxpeditions, and that is where the new ones can be had.

So, Ekki, my suggestion is that it depends on what your aims are: Do you
want to win a contest, or just have fun, and maybe work a new country. For
most of us, it is that simple.

Very best 73 to you all, and I hope to play in NAQP next weekend.
Phil GU0SUP