[RTTY] DXP38 vs MMTTY tuning faceoff

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:27:05 -0700

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:30:24 +0100, Mobile Workshop wrote:

>Well, this may sound daft, (and I am sure it is!!) BUT, I use 1275/1445
>mark/shift, (USB of course), and find that I can tune by ear almost all of
>the time.
<snip>

>Is this just me being daft, a figment of my imagination, or something less
>obvious??

Daft?  Not at all.  When you maintain the same shift and lower the
tones, the percentage separation between them becomes larger and more
distinguishable.

As you indicated, a person should be careful not to overdrive the audio
stages in the transmitter because harmonics of the lower audio frequency
may still be within the passband of the rig.  Using frequencies near the
upper end of the passband reduces this possibility.

73, Bill W7TI